Your script

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 22 18:36:15 CEST 2014

Hi Rafi,

Am 22.04.2014 um 15:19 schrieb Rafael Ostertag <raos at opencsw.org>:

> Hi Dago
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 01:24:30PM +0200, dam wrote:
>> Hi Rafi,
>>
>> Am 2014-04-22 08:00, schrieb Rafael Ostertag:

>>> There is a parser in cswch (nothing official, I hacked it together), which
>>> tries to be compliant with [1]. So cswch has a pretty good idea of
>>> changelog.CSW and it should be trivial to convert changelog.CSW into any
>>> other
>>> format. Let me know what you need.

>>> +1
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog
>>
>> I don't think that is a good idea for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. The application version (e.g. 1.2) is tightly coupled to DISTFILE and
>>   updated only on version bumps.
>> 2. The REV is calculated from the date which is good IMHO
>>
>> The Changelog should IMHO contain high-level descriptions of changes, like
>> "Switch from OpenSSL to GnuTLS" accommodated by a date when the change was
>> done.
>
> I don't see a contradiction. Let's see how a changelog might look like. Upon
> initial CSW package creation it might look like this:
>
> foo (0.2,REV=2014.01.01)
>
>   * Initial packaging for OpenCSW.
>
>  -- Rafael Ostertag  …

I was more thinking of

foo (2004-06-14T23:34:30)

  * Initial packaging

 -- Rafael Ostertag ...

> From my POV, those were all high level descriptions. And they give the user a
> clue what has changed. Low level stuff will be in svn or the recipe itself.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, or maybe I don't get the point of the changelog.CSW.

My point was that not version/REV should be in the timemark, but just a real, precise
time, like ISO8601

>> This may not be related to package rebuilds.
> Can you elaborate on this? What type of change in the build recipe does not
> require a respin? There is none on top of my head ;)

Because it is progress. The Changelog is for me some documentation of continuous
work which documents larger chunks than a commit but less then a release of the
package.

>> What may be a good idea is to retrieve the REV timestamp from the change
>> log,
>> but again rebuilding may result in binary-different packages with the same
>> revstamp.
> Yes, but is that really of any concern to the changelog? This happens with or
> without changelog.

Having the same format in the changelog is IMHO confusing as it suggests that
a package with the version and REV actually exists/existed.

Best regards

  — Dago