Openssl migration (last take)

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Wed Feb 12 20:07:28 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

You may have noticed it but openssl migration is still not completely over
because 3 packages are still blocking the removal of libssl 0.9.8: ruby
1.8, ruby 1.9 and ntop.

I would really like to close this subject and I worked to recompile this 3
packages against libssl 1.0 with various success:

  - *ntop*: I've recompiled against the previous version of gdbm
(libgdm.so.3) to quickly work around the gdbm upgrade blocker.
             I emailed Jon about it to have its feedback but I tested
successfully

  - *ruby 1.8: *I was able to recompile it successfully except the tk
module doesn't compile anymore because of an incompatibility related to
threads
    I wonder if tcl/tk has been recompiled in the meantime with pthread
support because I don't understand why it wasn't the case before.

    As no package depends on the tk module, I've simply dropped it instead
of enabling the pthread support as I don't know the impact.

    I would welcome additional testing and advice on these package as it is
used by puppet and puppet3, and I would like to be sure that this new
package will not break anything.

  - *ruby 1.9:* it compiles but doesn't currently pass the test suite.
    It fails at the forking test with a core dump. This bug has already
been reported twice without real answer:
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8860 and
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6334.
    I will comment on the upstream bug if anyone could help on this, it
would be great.

    I wonder if it might be possible to simply drop this package. Inkscape
is the only reverse dependency currently and I suppose it can be recompiled
to not depend on it.

All packages are available in my experimental repository:
http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/yann

Of course what would be great is that someone takes over the work on ruby
2.0 and deprecate ruby 1.8 and 1.9...

Thanks in advance for any help or comment.

Yann