How to build python2.7 packages

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 13 11:12:34 CET 2014

> In .buildsys/v2/categories/python/categor.mk I have seen that the underline natation is used:
>
> MODULATIONS_PYTHON_VERSION ?= 2_6 2_7

Yes, you need an underscore, because these values later become parts
of variable names, e.g. FOO_2_6.

> Is this correct?

Yes.

> I have to use the dotted notation for work:
> MODULATIONS_PYTHON_VERSION = 2.6 2.7

No, because these are modulation keys, not Python binary suffixes.
Maybe we should make them look more different?

MODULATIONS_PYTHON_VERSION ?= TWO_SIX TWO_SEVEN

So that people wouldn't try to stick it at the end of a Python binary
version. Then you'd have:

PYTHON_BINARY_SUFFIX_TWO_SIX = 2.6
PYTHON_BINARY_SUFFIX_TWO_SEVEN = 2.7

And:

PYTHON=python$(PYTHON_BINARY_SUFFIX_$(PYTHON_VERSION))