soname libserf-1.so.1.3.0

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 26 20:09:26 CET 2014

2014-01-26 rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org>

> rupert @ unstable10x : ~/opencsw/libserf/trunk
> $ elfdump -d /opt/csw/lib/libserf-1.so.1.3.0  | grep SONAME
>       [18]  SONAME            0x1cd7              libserf-1.so.1

Right, so the soname is "libserf-1.so.1".

> why we have the soname then "libserf-1.so.1" and not "libserf.so.1", and
> why we name the libary package then CSWlibserf1-1 and not CSWlibserf-1?

If the soname were "libserf-1.so" or "libserf.so.1", the package name would
be CSWlibserf1, without the dash. The syntax for package names is
numbers are listed separated by dashes. Here's a list of examples:

http://www.opencsw.org/manual/for-maintainers/shared-libraries.html#package-naming

You wrote that the new libserf has a new soname, what was the old soname?