isaexec and Tcl/Tk

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 13 19:36:16 CET 2014

Hi Oliver,

Am 18.02.2014 um 18:34 schrieb Oliver Kiddle <opk at opencsw.org>:
> Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>>
>> If you want you can try one of these:
>>  http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/allpkgs/alternatives-1.3.30c%2cREV%3d2010.02.18-SunOS5.8-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
>>  http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/allpkgs/alternatives-1.3.30c%2cREV%3d2010.02.18-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
>>
>> They should work correctly on the provided packages even when in one file.
>
> I can't get them to do anything. Perhaps they need some database or
> something setup but if all I do is install them, nothing happens when I
> try to configure alternatives. The contents of /var/lib/alternatives on
> my Redhat based system don't seem quite similar enough to what we have
> in /opt/csw/share/alternatives.
>
> Note that the alternatives/trunk/files/README file in subversion says:
>    Phil decided that a from-scratch, CSW-custom implementation was
>    needed, because the debian one was hugely bloated, and the redhat
>    smaller one, did not play nicely with NFS-shared /opt/csw So please
>    dont go getting ideas that we can migrated back to redhat,etc in the
>    future! :) we tried, and it failed.
>
> Having GAR create multiple alternatives files would seem easiest to me.
> If you prefer, I can modify the existing script to copy relevant entries
> to /etc/opt/csw/alternatives instead of a symlink. I think it can cope
> with things like package removals and upgrades with a little extra
> checking. If you get the RedHat system working, I'm not opposed to it
> either: I just suspect it is more work that way.

As obivously neither me nor you had the impetus to fix it please go ahead
and just make the adjustments to solve your immediate issue. I do feel
that alternatives should be redone in a more thorough way, but I don’t
want to delay that for an infinite time if it makes your life more difficult :-)

Best regards

  — Dago