Caches going stale

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Mar 29 17:24:34 CET 2014

Hi maintainers,

The script which detects obsolete packages is periodically running on the
buildfarm. It uses various bits of code, like the RevDeps class from the
safe_remove_pkgs script. It saves various bits of data on local disk to
speed up execution.

https://sourceforge.net/p/gar/code/HEAD/tree/csw/mgar/gar/v2/lib/python/find_obsolete_pkgs.py
https://sourceforge.net/p/gar/code/HEAD/tree/csw/mgar/gar/v2/lib/python/safe_remove_package.py

Since these scripts are now left for themselves for extended periods of
time, we need to make sure they don't start outputting wrong information
because of stale caches.

We need to think what to do with this. Here are some ideas:

- periodically purge the caches (delete files from disk), and let the
scripts will regenerate them
- modify the programs to refresh the caches at as necessary
- stop using any caches and let the scripts run slowly until we find a
better solution

Is anybody interested in tackling this?