which host builds what

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 17 09:27:54 CEST 2014

Hi Riccardo,

Am 17.09.2014 um 08:16 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
> I'm still confused by what builds which packages.
>
> I am trying to build gnustep-make, so that I can upload it for the first time. Also I want to test my packages on solaris 9, maybe I am lucky (I know they can build with some kicking on solaris 8...)
>
> I issue:
>
> mgar spotless && mgar platforms
>
> If I log into unstable9s
> SunOS unstable9s 5.9 Generic_Virtual sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
>
> I see the following log:
>
> <...>
>
> # Checkpkg suggests adding the following lines to the GAR recipe:
> # This is a summary; see above for details.
> ARCHALL_CSWgnustep-make = 1
>
> gmake: Leaving directory '/home/rmottola/opencsw/gnustep-make/trunk'
> Connection to unstable10x closed.
>
> The following packages have been built during this invocation:
>
> * Platform solaris10-sparc (built on host 'unstable10s')
>  CSWgnustep-make /home/rmottola/pkgs/gnustep_make-2.6.6,REV=2014.09.16-SunOS5.10-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
>
> * Platform solaris10-i386 (built on host 'unstable10x')
>  CSWgnustep-make /home/rmottola/pkgs/gnustep_make-2.6.6,REV=2014.09.16-SunOS5.10-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
>
> why does it build two packages, on other two machines? and not "itself"? How do I generate the sparc 9 package (and x86 package) ?
>
> Is the mgar tool somehow "smart" and does a grid build? and how do I tell it what to? not all combination may be working.

Indeed :-) That is platforms support:
  https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/trac/wiki/Platforms

Default is Solaris 10 only, if you want extra/other platforms you must specify
that in the Makefile with PACKAGING_PLATFORMS.

However, if you don’t have any platform configuration on the server where you are
then GAR behaves a little differently and just builds where it is running on due to
lack of information. If you have built at home this may have confused you.

Best regards

  — Dago