Python version issues

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 23 13:28:12 CEST 2014

Hi Kester,

Am 22.09.2014 um 16:59 schrieb Kester Habermann <kester at opencsw.org>:
> python-config is linked to a non-existent file:
>
> kester at unstable10s [unstable10s]:~ > ls -l /opt/csw/bin/python-config
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         27 Aug 10  2013 /opt/csw/bin/python-config -> /opt/csw/bin/python-config2
> kester at unstable10s [unstable10s]:~ > ls -l /opt/csw/bin/python-config2
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         29 Nov  3  2013 /opt/csw/bin/python-config2 -> /opt/csw/bin/python-config2.6
> kester at unstable10s [unstable10s]:~ > ls -l /opt/csw/bin/python-config2.6
> /opt/csw/bin/python-config2.6: No such file or directory
>
> This should probably point to: /opt/csw/bin/python2.6-config
>
> I have not raised a Mantis issue, as I am not sure where this is done
> (Python package, alternatives, ?).

Yes, this is an error on the Makefile with the alternatives definition:
  https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/source/xref/opencsw/csw/mgar/pkg/lang-python/python/trunk/Makefile#221
I’ll try to fix that issue, some experimental packages are here:
  http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental.html#python

> If I install CSWpython27 and remove CSWpython26 then the link is changed to:
> /opt/csw/bin/python-config2 -> /opt/csw/bin/python-config2.7
> which also does not exist.

Alternatives is behaving as configured, the configuration is wrong.

> It should probably point to: /opt/csw/bin/python2.7-config

Yes.

> I also noticed, if I install python 2.6 and python 2.7 at the same
> time, the links remain pointing to 2.6, e. g.:
> /opt/csw/bin/python2 -> python2.6
>
> It is even worse: If I only have python 2.7 installed and the links set up to make
> /opt/csw/bin/python2 point to python2.7 and the python2.6 package gets installed
> as a dependency then link from /opt/csw/bin/python2 changes back to python2.6
> which is not what I want.
>
> On a related issue, in the gar files we have:
>  MODULATIONS_PYTHON_VERSION = 2_6 2_7
> How much changes would it take to also add 3_3?

Not much, but AFAIK Python 3 needs special care from the module authors. Feel free to set the extra
modulation in you tree and see how far you get. If it works reasonably well we can move that into
the main branch.

Best regards

  — Dago