packaging in IPS

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 9 15:35:49 CET 2015

Le 2015/12/09 13:40 +0100, Dagobert Michelsen a écrit:
> 1. Enable/Disable development files
>
> I thought of having this also in SVR4 packages with pkgutil by having an attribute
> for each package which lists the development package name.
>
> 2. Switch to development version with debug symbols enabled and w/o optimization
>
> I would have wished it would be easier on deployed systems which show bugs to switch
> to debug binaries/libs easily.

That's comparing it to SVR4 packaging.
There are plenty of distros systems out there which do those functions
just fine with -devel and -debuginfo packages. It's simple to
understand, simple to use, you don't even need to read the manual.
Solaris did not gain *anything*, *at all*, by introducing confusing
features that did things differently from everybody else, and OpenCSW is
not going to gain users nor maintainers by following them that way.

Compare two typical discussions:
«Development files, we do it the same way as Red Hat does, install the
-devel package.
 - Ok, get it»

«Development files, you only need to install the devel facet, the same
was as Oracle does.
 - Wait, facet? What's that?
 - You know, it's [I don't know how to explain it myself]
 - I don't get it.
 - Have you looked at the man?
 - No, reading man in Solaris sucks [true fact].
 - Have you looked at the docs on Oracle.com?
 [at this point, we've lost them]»

And using that in a production environment means you have to duplicate
and upgrade the documentation, when it could just be the exact same as
what was for S10, merely adding new examples of commands.

It's like building cycloid-shaped roads because Sun decided to build
square wheels.

But seriously, you don't really have to listen to me :) It's just my -0
for facets and any similar IPS crapola, since I'll never work on or with
it (well, unless there are significantly astronomical sums of money
involved ;)

Laurent