PKG_CHECK_MODULES discussion on Stack Overflow

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 15 12:55:48 CET 2015

I found an interesting discussion on Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10220946/pkg-check-modules-considered-harmful

One key point is in this part of the 1st answer: "If a user installs
libfoo in /p/a/t/h and invokes a configure script with
LDFLAGS=-L/p/a/t/h, the user is justified in expecting the configure
to find libfoo. But, the user also must set PKG_CONFIG_PATH so that
the configure script can find foo.pc in order for the configury to
succeed, and IMO that is broken."

We're one of the people who deal with these settings a lot, I wonder
if we can contribute something to this conversation.