Subversion

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 15 22:46:47 CET 2015

Hi Rupert,

> Am 15.01.2015 um 21:54 schrieb rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org>:
>
> I m sorry for this. What would be the best strategy to avoid a change in the recipe when doing a patch level upgrade?  I d be glad if this could be done by just changing the version number and maybe the names of referenced dependencies.

Short answer: You can’t. It may be possible if you bump the version within a week
or so, but not after several month. There are multiple reasons for this:

- dependency chains for updates of other packages. This includes updates from gcc 4.8
  to 4.9 requiring libtool tag changes which are difficult and have been missed during
  the last update.
- compiler changes from Sun Studio to GCC. We are transitioning all packages to GCC, this
  requires adjustments in flags in mixed environments where some things are still
  compiled with Sun Studio and the new package with gcc.
- multiple python versions requires modulations (also long standing project)
- incompatible library versions upgrades
- upstream changes in functionality, e.g. switches from OpenSSL to GnuTLS,
  cares to adns etc.
- patches no longer apply because of changed source structure
- different linker result on sparc/x86 (open ticket at Oracle), should be mostly
  resolved now.

The times that checkpkg changed so often the overrides need to be adjusted are
mostly over, so if checkpkg reports something it is worth investigating because
it may be any of the above real problems or even other things. Checkpkg helps
you to find the most obvious problems during version bumps, it is not your enemy.

Best regards

  — Dago