problem building libffi on x86-10 (fatal link error)

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 5 22:40:08 CET 2015

Hi folks,

> Am 05.03.2015 um 21:11 schrieb Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org>:
>
> Le 2015/03/05 17:57 +0100, Riccardo Mottola a écrit:
>> I upgraded to latest libffi, which incorporated also certain patches (I
>> checked), disabled those that do not apply anymore too. Switched to GCC.
>> It would make 6.0.5 instead of 5.0.10
>
> Not a problem.
>
>> I got everything to compile and it appears to work for my configure test!
>>
>> I wanted to run the tests (mgar test ?) and re-enabled them.
>> TEST_TARGET = check
>>
>> however when I run mgar test I get:
>> WARNING: could not find 'runtest'
>
> Not mgar test? mgar check?
>
>> so  suppose they did nothing.
>>
>> The recipe contains some stuff I do not understand fully that I think
>> needs to be updated:
>>
>> OBSOLETED_BY_CSWlibffi5 = CSWlibffi
>> OBSOLETED_BY_CSWlibffi5-dev = CSWlibffi
>> INCOMPATIBLE_PKGS_CSWlibffi5 = CSWlibffi
>
> You'll have to replace the 5 by 6.

No, these should be ripped out. This is because a long time ago everything was in
CSWlibffi and packages depended on it. Then libffi.so.5 was split and the existing
packages should still find their library. As CSWlibffi is still in the catalog as
stub depending on .so.5 it stays where it is. Just remove the three lines.

>> These just mean that unversioned packaged are obsoleted? These need to
>> be updated to CSWlibffi6 I suppose
>
> No, it was for transition from the old, pre-standard naming. Packages
> won't need to be updated (except that to avoid a broken lib, that is).
>
>> PACKAGES += CSWlibffi5
>> PKGFILES_CSWlibffi5 += $(call baseisadirs,$(libdir),libffi\.so\.5(\.\d+)*)
>> SPKG_DESC_CSWlibffi5 += $(DESCRIPTION), libffi.so.5
>>
>> what do the last two lines do? I just substituted blindly 5 with 6
>> what is SPKG_*?
>
> Actually, mgar will surely tell you what to copy-paste.

The problem is that the new .so.6 library got in the catchall package and
CSWlibffi5 was empty as more like libffi6 was generated.

>> then we have:
>> PACKAGES += CSWlibffi-dev
>> SPKG_DESC_CSWlibffi-dev = $(DESCRIPTION) - developer package
>> RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWlibffi-dev += CSWlibffi6
>>
>> why does it have CSWlibffi-dev and not CSWlibffi6-dev ?
>
> Because there is only one -dev at a time, pointing to the latest version
> that is used for all new linking, while there can be several numbered
> versions of the libs used by previously linked packages.
>
>> Should I commit the receipe as is? I can also post the diff to the list,
>> as you prefer.
>
> Run "mgar package" first so it will warn you for missing deps and other
> issues.

Yep, or „repackage“.

Best regards

  — Dago