latest version of libpng

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 27 17:11:26 CET 2015

Hi,

On 03/27/15 10:53, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
> libpng.so.3 and libpng12.so.0 are produced by the same recipe:
> https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/source/xref/opencsw/csw/mgar/pkg/libpng/branches/libpng3/Makefile
> This seems like the same library due to upstream rename.

I understand, so it was upstream that caused this confusion! thanks. I
just went to use 15 which is current, while I work on 16

>> On my own box I and up having libpng3.. Just to know about this oddity.
>>
>> There are some security updates, I'll try my best updating libpng, but wanted to now this oddity first.
> If you don’t introduce another soname it should be fine, otherwise the same restrictions apply
> as to e.g. the OpenSSL transition:
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/project-openssl
> Although it should be less of a problem now due to direct linking, but AFAIK this has not been
> tested enough.

what do you mean by "soname change"? I see that libpng15 introduced a
new soname, bu hides it with a link

so libpng.so is then linked to libpng15.so.15.13.0

I thought of adding libpng16.so.16.xxx to follow this reasoning.

Riccardo