Brokenness caused by libpng update

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Tue May 5 10:05:56 CEST 2015

Hi,

well, you somehow convinced me that we need a versioned developer
package. My guts still don't like it, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

Does it work not having the symlink at all? I that case everything is
fine! If you can confirm that, we can think about removing the symlink.
If things work like the libraries symlink however it is needed and it is
better just to upgrade all packages.

Laurent Blume wrote:
>    - respin 1.5 with a versioned -dev,*removing*  the libpng.pc symlink,
> and obsoleting the unversioned -dev (since other current -dev
> dependencies will need that version)
>    - reversion it to 1.6, this time commenting out the symlink removal,
> and of course removing the obsoleting (since future dependencies will
> need to use a versioned -dev)
>    - add a lot of comments in the recipe explaining how to do it for
> future version changes (one last respin of the current version without
> the symlink, then new version with it, the obsoleting is a one-time
> thing, won't be needed further)
>    - check that it all works
>    - warn the maintainers of all packages that have a dependency on
> libpng that they will need to upgrade their BUILD_DEP.

Can we somhow simplify this procedure? Seems a lot of work to me. I see
not problems

1) respin 1.5 versioned dev without the symlink
2) respin 1.6 versioned dev without the symlink

respinnin a non-versioned dev with "which" comments "where" seems a lot
of hassle.

How do I actually remove the symlink? The receipe packages it
automatically. Apparently everything which is not packaged into lipng16
and utils ends up in dev, so perhaps I need to remove the file after the
build stage or before the installation stage?

Riccardo