debugging failing build / additional make parameters

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 21 14:49:16 CEST 2016

Hi Peter,

Peter FELECAN wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola<rmottola at opencsw.org>  writes:
>
>> >one needs to run "make messages=yes" to see the actual commands (debug).
>> >How can I pass this?
> When you give an argument to make, such as "messages=yes", what you do is
> define a make variable "messages" havin the value of "yes", isn't it?
> Consequently, puting the stanza "messages=yes" in the Makefile has the
> same results. The question that you must answer is: in which Makefile do
> you put that.

do you mean I am setting it in the "mgar" Makefile?

My goal is to set it in the target makefile, the one of the package, so
that it enables the output.

I want the equivalent of what I would do by hand:

$ tar xf myapp.tar
$ cd myapp
$ ./configure
$ make messages=yes
gcc <long arguments>

Right now it seems that gar just does "make"

Perhaps another way would be changing the MAKE variable (which already
should be set to gmake) ? if there is one.
In other tystem I solved this by doing MAKE="gmake messages=yes" for
example.

Riccardo