amd53 on solaris 9

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 5 20:30:05 CET 2016

Hi Jörg,

Am 05.12.2016 um 18:00 schrieb Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>:
> Dagobert Michelsen via maintainers <maintainers at lists.opencsw.org> wrote:
>
>> # Solaris 9 package does not contain 64 bit on i386 as we have a separate Solaris 10 package
>> SKIP_MODULATIONS-5.9 += isa-amd64
>> SKIP_MODULATIONS = $(SKIP_MODULATIONS-$(GAROSREL))
>
> Solaris with amd64 support first appeared in August 2004 - half a year before
> FCS of Solaris 10. There is no amd64 support for Solaris 9 AFAIK.

Correct. But at some time in the past when we only packaged for Solaris 9
the packages for i386 contained also 64 bit amd64 binaries built on Solaris 10
and packaged up in a combined package marked for Solaris 9. The amd64 part
would be ignored and only used when installed on Solaris 10. This was already
in place when I joined Blastwave in 2007.

When building for Solaris 9 and also for Solaris 10 this is of course pointless :-)

Best regards

  — Dago