libidn - libidn2

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 28 10:03:56 CEST 2017

Hi Riccardo,

Am 28.07.2017 um 02:04 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
> I need libidn2 ... to update gnutls :(
> Actually, I force it to use libidn 1 or disable it alltogether to see if I get forward with it, but maybe it is not the best.
>
> we have libidn 1, but no libidn 2....
> should I start a new project? a branch? what would you prefer ?

What do you mean? We have Libidn 1.33 as CSWlibidn11 and Libidn2 0.10 as CSWlibidn2-0.
Please note that Libidn and Libidn2 are completely different libraries, I didn’t get this
either and asked Simon Josefsson and this is what he replied to me :-)

Am 02.11.2016 um 09:41 schrieb Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org>:
> Hi Dagobert,
>
> libidn and libidn2 are two different projects, they complement each
> other rather then compete.  libidn is for IDNA2003 and libidn2 is for
> IDNA2008.  For most purposes, libidn is what you want.

And that is also the reason why we have CSWlibidn-dev and CSWlibidn2-dev.

Best regards

  — Dago