[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs clamav, libclam6, libclam6_devel

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 15 09:07:00 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Dec 14 18:05:45 -0500 2010:
>
>> But, is it really a good idea to ship anything in /var/opt?  Our
>> normal standards say "no".
>>
>> Could you describe more about what is going on here please?
>
> This might be an ok exception?  Those are the database signatures as
> of packaging time (or roughly so, anyway).  The RHEL5 packages I
> recently built provide a clamav-data and clamav-data-empty.  The first
> gives you the cvd files (more stale as time goes) while the second
> gives just the required directory structure.
>
> I don't use the OpenCSW clamav packages, but the first thing an admin
> would be doing after installing them is running freshclam anyway.  On
> the other hand, I haven't tried starting clamav without these files
> present so it may make sense in the case of auto-enabled daemons to
> provide something, even if stale.[1]
>
> Peter, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Besides that this is the random rule of the week?

We had this discussion two years ago, whether to provide signature
databases or not with the package. Most thought it was of use,
especially for the new user who may not even know about freshclam or
have set up his infrastructure so freshclam can actually fetch any
updates from the mirrors. Now it's usable from install and they
actually update the database for every release so it's not that stale
and useless, not every malware is a previously unknown one.

This is a security and bug fix release and there's people waiting for
it. I have at least one user who was completely new to OpenCSW who is
waiting for this specific release to start using our packages. I
didn't say anything when Phil wanted to fiddle with some script
instead of releasing it and now this after two full weeks?

Jake Goerzen just posted an upgrade bug yesterday, well I submitted
the packages the day after the Clam team released 0.96.5, I can't do
much better than that.

/peter