[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs clamav, libclam6, libclam6_devel

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 22 21:15:04 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed Dec 15 12:17:39 -0500 2010:

> and I think that this is a good idea. Thanks for the refresher on that info
> (might be nice to put it in the "i cswreleasemgr" file)
> But if you read the specific question I had, it was not "should we
> ship a signature database", but "should we ship it in /var/opt?"

Ok, so I've done more reading on old threads and the current
documentation.  I wasn't able to find any historical mail thread or
document on our website that forbids shipping files in /var/opt/csw.

The closest we have is this from the share /opt/csw writeup:

    "Allowable for run-time-only data. Do not deliver files in package
    here."

While this we seem to run contrary to what I said above, it's
ambiguous at best.

The clamav database files are critical run-time files and definitely
need to live under /var/opt/csw.  Aside from the potential to backdate
the signature files at update time, I don't see any reason to stop
this package based on their presence.

Phil: If these were non-runtime files, I would agree with your
position.  Can you point me at an old discussion or web document where
we forbid this type of file under /var/opt/csw?

Peter: I do think that the possibility for back-dating the virus
signatures is something that should be handled, but not as a
show-stopper for this release.  What about treating these files like a
config file with some sort of cswpreserveconf type handler?

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton