[csw-pkgsubmissions] /newpkgs (current) dnstop, pcp

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Feb 18 23:11:13 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I hope it's okay to jump in here. Please, please, noooooooooooo. In my
> experience those disparate pkg and catalog names are a common cause of
> confusion for most people, in particular newcomers. If we want to avoid
> PCP because of name clashes, how about pidconport/CSWpidconport (and PCP
> in the description string)? I realize, that it then doesn't have pcp in
> either string any more (and thus can't be found with -a), but those
> different pkg / catalog names are such a pain.

I agree on making the software name more similar.

how about:

PKG=CSWpidconport
NAME=pidconport - pcp utility to check open ports

or something like that?

You might want to rename the actual BINARY to be "pidconport" or
something, instead of "pcp", too.
We've occasionally (once or twice) renamed binaries because of odd
names. Something to consider, although it's not something I'd consider
mandatory.