[csw-pkgsubmissions] /newpkgs (current) dnstop, pcp

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 19 09:48:32 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Philip Brown <phil at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Since this is Solaris specific that was pretty easy - no one else (BW,
>> SFE, SFW) has it. So nothing to compare with. Except that the author
>> himself calls it pcp.
>
> seems like that is good news, and bad news.
> most of what we do, is provide "general packages, that solaris lacks".
> That is to say, the majority of people using our packages, use them to
> get stuff on solaris, that they are already used to having elsewhere.
>
> So seems to me, that the majority of people looking for "pcp", would
> be expecting the more general interpretation, not the solaris specific
> "php"

But none of those have Performance Co-Pilot either so who knows what
people are looking for?

Performance Co-Pilot was started in 1998 and from 2003 it has been
able to run on Solaris. Still no one has packaged it for Solaris and
you're holding your breath about possible collision/confusion?

PCP is Solaris specific and it's the first one to be packaged, isn't
it logical that the second one will have to adjust? If it ever becomes
an issue.

--
/peter