[csw-pkgsubmissions] nss

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Feb 25 21:16:33 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Maciej Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> * nss: new package
>  Network Security Services.  This build was consulted with a NSS developer
>  (Wan-Teh Chang).  Rupert has recently asked for it, I think it's a good time
>  to release it.
>  + nss-3.12.4,REV=2010.02.24-SunOS5.8-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
>  + nss-3.12.4,REV=2010.02.24-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz

Two things concern me about this package. wait, make that 3. wait.. erm...
"a bunch" ;-/

1. why are we using libexec, for certificate utilities? Is there a
significant performance gain, and why do we CARE about performance,
for certificate utilities? surely it wont matter unless you are
processing thousands a minute, or something? what does that??

2. it delivers /opt/csw/lib/libssl3.so
 The potential for conflicting (at some nebulous point in the future)
against openssl.. which delivers
   /opt/csw/lib/libssl.so ... worries me.

  This is an open-ended concern. I dont have any particular solutions
to suggest..I'm just bringing it out in the open, to see whether other
people share my concern on this, and/or have specific reasons why it
should NOT be a concern.

This might even be better moved to maintainers for more detailed
discussion. But since there are other issues, i'll leave it here for
now -}

3. /opt/csw/lib/libnss3.so

  Isnt this the same thing that firefox/mozilla/whatever uses? If so,
should we not split out a separate
 runtime package for the shared libs, so it can use them more cleanly?
Or does it actually use the executables as well?

4. naming.
Comparing with "other distributions", they seem to have named relevant
things "libnss3".
Well, actually, "libnss3", and "libnss3-tools".

Should we follow suit?