[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_lxml

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 1 21:10:38 CET 2010

Philip Brown wrote on 26.02.2010 23:09:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Philip Brown wrote on 26.02.2010 22:36:

>>> thanks.. erm.. i'm confused though. we already have
>>> py_libxml2-2.7.6,REV=2009.12.17-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
>> The ones that we already have are the native bindings which ship with
>> libxml2. lxml aims to be easier to deal with.
>
> aha, gotcha :)
>
> how about tweaking the NAME field to be a bit more descriptive of that then.
>
> eg:
>
> NAME=py_lxml - alternative libxml2 binding that is easier  to use than
> py_libxml2

The "easier to use" was my interpretation, probably some people might
find it easier to do this stuff with the native libxml2 python bindings.
The "pythonic" in the current description is what lxml is in fact about,
provide bindings for python that feel like python.

http://blog.ianbicking.org/2008/12/10/lxml-an-underappreciated-web-scraping-library/

"To be Pythonic is to use the Python constructs and datastructures with
clean, readable idioms. It is Pythonic to exploit dynamic typing for
instance, and it's definitely not Pythonic to introduce static-type
style verbosity into the picture where not needed. To be Pythonic is to
avoid surprising experienced Python programmers with unfamiliar ways to
accomplish a task."

Sebastian