[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_lxml

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 2 00:47:28 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> How would you know? At least I couldn't say that a 100% sure. lxml's
> documentation was simply more accessible, there were more tutorials out
> there for it and my gut feeling told me to not bother with libxml2. It
> was easy to use and our IRC bot as well as the upcoming CLI interface to
> Mantis runs on it. Felt like the more accessible product to me.
>
> Nevertheless, that's not something I want to base a package description
> on. I would put in there what the package is about, not how it compares
> to competitor b. Neither would I package an Icinga package which says
> "Nagios fork which has the better GUI" just because I think so.

right, exactly. "better" is subjective.
On the other hand, "closer to XYZ standards" is Objective. It's plain
and simple fact.

> Would you headline OpenCSW with "More comprehensive package repository
> than sunfreeware.com"? I wouldn't.

If it were true, I would have no problems doing that :)

> That's not my point. I simply don't want to put my name next to
> something which I don't mean to say.

okay, thats perfectly understandable. but meanwhile, we still have to
justify why exactly we are packaging up py_lxml, when py_libxml2
exists, and we need to do it in a way that is reflected in its
description.

your original naming choice, was:

"lxml is a Pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries."

The thing is, most reasonable coders would reasonably presume, that
ALL py_XYZ packages are going to be "Pythonic", unless informed
otherwise.
Most people will view "Python Bindings" and "Pythonic binding" as
identical in meaning.

So if a user is looking at only the two lines,

py_libxml2 - XML Parser Library Python Bindings
and
py_lxml - Pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries

they are probably going to have the reaction of, "well, that's just
dumb: what the #@$@ is the difference between the two?? The
descriptions are basically the same thing! Both are
[python language bindings for libxml2]. How useless."

So, please pick a description that differentiates better between the two.