[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_lxml

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 2 19:49:46 CET 2010

* Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> >
> > IMHO nobody will decide which libxml binding he is using by the
> > description of the package.
>
> is worse yet. One needs to know why on earth there is a square2
> function when there is already a square() function.
>
> Our descriptions need to have meaningful information to them.
> That means, the name of the software, and what it does, AND some level
> of ambiguity reduction when there are multiple similar packages.

nginx vs. apache vs. lighttpd. postfix vs. sendmail vs. exim vs. qmail.
vi vs. nano vs. emacs. perl vs. ruby vs. python vs. lua vs. php. iozone
vs bonnie. ttcp vs. iperf vs whatever. That discussion is seriously ill
headed and a questionable time investment for all of us (to say it
mildly).

The following is a list of the short package descriptions for lxml from
the Python Package Index, the major Linux distros, and OpenSolaris.
Please pick one and let me know which one it should be.

PPI: Powerful and Pythonic XML processing library combining
     libxml2/libxslt with the ElementTree API.
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/2.2.6

Fedora: ElementTree-like Python bindings for libxml2 and libxslt
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/python-lxml

Debian: pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
http://packages.debian.org/sid/python/python-lxml

Ubuntu: pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python-lxml

Gentoo: A Pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-python/lxml

OpenSUSE: A Pythonic Binding for the libxml2 and libxslt Libraries
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/opensuse/python-lxml.html

OpenSolaris: lxml
http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release/info/0/SUNWpython-lxml%402.1.2%2C5.11-0.111%3A20090508T163109Z

Sebastian