[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs mpg321, (...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 8 18:55:37 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I packaged that maybe 10 years ago myself because it used lower resources
> than mpg123: "Unlike mpg123 it does all MP3 decoding with only fixed-point
> math by using the mad MPEG audio decoder library." On an UltraSparc I
> with 143 MHz that made quite some difference!

Thanks for the input, Dago,
So maybe retitle with "low resolution, fixed-point replacement of mpg123" ?

I think that explicitly mentioning "mpg123" is a benefit in this case;
it seems to be an explicit design goal to be a drop-in alternative
implementation. yes?

but then we'd have to think about how to package it, without conflicts.
and do note that checking dependancies gets confusing if you use
"alternatives" cross-package, with shared libs.

You MIGHT consider updating the main mpg123 package, to include the
mpg321 lib as an alternative implementation, since the library is very
small. the entire package is 30k gzipped.
Then "alternatives" will work cleanly.