[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs giflib, giflib_doc, giflib_rt, libungif

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Mar 12 18:00:27 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> From the source:
>
>  * Module to dump graphic devices into a GIF file. Current supported
> devices:
>  * 3. X11 using libX.a (#define __X11__).
>
> So you can directly grab X11 as gif. Something which you may or may not
> want. I can
> make a default without X11 and a full alternative which takes precedence if
> installed.
> Ok?

interesting. Okay, great.
There are actually two ways you could do this.

1. Actually do the whole "compile two separate versions of the
library, put it in, and use alternatives"

2. Compile a SINGLE, fully enabled library, but specify "lazy linking"
for the X11 lib.
Then in theory, the lib would only get used if the particular function
needing it, gets called.
I think.

If you do method #2 (which I personally suggest as the better choice),
then I would also suggest you add in some kind of comment in the
description about "with optional X11 support", if checkpkg finds the
"missing" shared lib usage and whines about missing dependencies.

and of course, before submitting an updated package, you should test
out this theoretical compile, with a command line util that uses
libgif, on a machine that has had its libX11 removed :-}