[csw-pkgsubmissions] /newpkgs (current) dnstop, pcp

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 16 21:14:46 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> >... and even if pcp is renamed to
> something that people who want pcp definitely will not look for it
> still doesn't help Debian people thinking they will get Performance
> Copilot since we don't have that. And we probably never will either
> since it's geared (as far as I can tell) towards Linux and we have the
> excellent DTrace instead.

Hmm.

well, if performance co-pilot were a completely linux -only
application, I would agree with you to some degree.
Apart from the fact that dtrace, while being very powerful, still is
not GUI oriented. whereas Performance co-pilot is geared towards
providing a GUI, and/or centralized view of system performance.
Being sort of like a "performance dashboard".Whereas DTrace is more a
low level "performance probe and debugging tool"

>From http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/faq.html#Q2
"Performance Co-Pilot uses a single, comprehensive, data model to
describe all available performance data. "

It actually sounds (and looks) quite nice.

Even more generally,

"Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) is a framework and services to support
system-level performance monitoring and performance management. "

Erm.. it also claims to be cross platform.
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/index.html

"PCP is a feature-rich, mature, extensible, cross-platform toolkit
supporting both live and retrospective analysis. "

AND.... from the INSTALL file:

A.1 Linux Installation (rpm, deb)
 .2 Mac OS X Installation
 .3 AIX Installation
 .4 Solaris Installation
 .5 Windows Installation

So, this can certainly be available on solaris. And i would like to at
this point say, that we SHOULD provide it for solaris!

Subsection from that file:

  == A.4 Solaris Installation

  At this stage, noone is making available pre-built Solaris binaries.
  A port to Solaris has been done, and merged, however - building from
  the source is currently the only option.  Packaging work is not begun
  for PCP on Solaris at this stage.

So, I would like to suggest that we be pioneers in being the first to
provide a solaris package, of Performance Co-Pilot, as "pcp"!

Sorry about that :-}   But after reviewing the above facts, I do
believe that our users would be best served in having "pcp" be the
more widely known "performance co-pilot".