[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs idle, libpython2_5_1_0, libpython2_6_(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Oct 12 21:27:15 CEST 2010

On 10/12/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> No dia 12 de Outubro de 2010 19:22, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
> escreveu:

>> So if there is no "python251" any more, why do we need a "libpython251" ?
>
> You mean, the shared libraries?  The same reason as with all other
> shared libraries: there are binaries linking to them, and removing
> shared objects would break these binaries[....]  But it doesn't
> matter that much; in either case the shared library is required for
> other binaries to do runtime linking.

oh, blah.
I was going to say 'since packages needing the lib only depend on
CSWpython, I dont see the point in splitting this out', but I just
realized the point: you donthave to re-upload the same old lib when
you do updates of python this way.

Dependencies still get a little hairy, though. This is reminicent of
the old "python_rt" package that we USED to have.  packages used to
depend on THAT, but not the core python package.
We might want to redo dependency trees for this.
if we were starting fresh, I might say have the shared libs depend on CSWpython.
But since older packages only depend on CSWpython now, it will be a
requirement for CSWpython, to pull in shared lib(s) as deps. Circular
deps arent allowed, so that wont work.

>From now on, (unmodified) checkpkg would only detect a needed
dependency on the libpython package, not CSWpython any more. What's
the plan to handle that sort of thing?