[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs dialog

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Feb 4 05:58:26 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>..
>> Is there a compelling reason to chain in ncurses and csw termcap for this?
>>
>> (and even if there is, you might consider using "alternatives" to
>> provide an ncurses, and a native curses version of the package)
>>
>> From my recollection, the only issue of interest, was color handling.
>> For people doing lightweight stuff, a native-only, b&w only version,
>> would potentially be valuable.
>
> Yes, it's about color support, it works nicely with ncurses but not
> with curses even when setting environment variables. Ncurses is a
> common package anyway but even if not already installed it and
> terminfo is only 1.5 MB total.

If this were a different type of package, I would be more inclined to
say "okay, sure". The trouble here, is that "dialog" is the type of
package that specifically appeals to people who are low-impact, as it
were. If you are using 'dialog', you are using very lightweight
text-only packages, instead of the usual GUI hugeness, which may take
hundreds of megabytes.
It is concievable that they even may want this ONE package, just for itself.
Please note that the dialog package itself, is a mere 170k.
As such, even the ncurses package alone, weighing in at 1300k, is considerable.
Piling on another 1500k for the ncurses-pulled terminfo package, puts
things way over the top.