[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs dialog

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Feb 5 23:15:07 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> You can also consider googling for comments about why some people
>> didnt like blastwave packaging. One of the complaints people blogged
>> about, was because it duplicated packages already present in solaris.
>> I dont think that attitude has suddenly changed either.
>
> That I know but it's not the same thing. Duplication of packages is not
> the same issue that we discuss, which is payload size.

It's not quite the same thing, but it tracks.

Consider the issue of depending on some CSW version of libFoo, which
is technically "newer" than /usr/lib/libFoo.
If /usr/lib/libFoo is "good enough", then those people would prefer us
to use that version, rather than the newer version.

In essence, that's what libncurses is: a "newer" version of
/usr/lib/libcurses.so
And for many purposes, the "old version in /usr/lib" is "good enough".

I'm sure there are ways for you to further split hairs on this, but
lets not bother going down that road.
 I dont dispute that there are cases where ncurses is more useful.
I hope you will give me the same courtesy in conceding that there are
cases where it is not.