[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs dialog

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 9 17:24:29 CET 2011

* Philip Brown <phil at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > SSH from a Mac (default TERM=xterm-color) to a Solaris box and start a
> > curses application. curses which doesn't know about xterm-color will
> > complain and present you with a severly crippled terminal experience.
>
> There are ways to make color terminals relatively happy with standard
> solaris curses. (I believe, setting TERM=xtermc, rather than
> xterm-color)

True, as an effort on the side of each single users out there, while we
could very easily provide a software stack which doesn't need a
workaround by the user.

> And for the record (and something which you probably know already, but
> others might not) Solaris 10 understands "xterm-color" just fine.

Yes, fully (not probably) aware, that's what the Solaris 9 clarification
mail was for. Add other common TERMs (like rxvt or screen where we
worked around it in a lengthy bug discussion) into the mix and the issue
also applies Solaris 10.

Thus, we still have a disfunctionality that we can easily fix vs. the
stance that dependencies on CSWncurses are evil. Where does this
objection against this dependency come from? Anyone still needs to
transfer packages over 9.6k modem lines or transfer them via floppy?

Honestly, who is sitting in front of his computer and realizes in horror
"F***, I need to have pkgutil fully automatically download me _two_
additional packages"?

Sebastian