[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs drill, libldns1, libldnsdevel, libunb(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jan 5 21:16:57 CET 2011

On 1/5/11, İhsan Doğan <ihsan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hello Phil,

*wave*

> Am 19.11.2010 19:50, schrieb Philip Brown:
>
> [...]
>
>> One possible path you might consider, is:
>>  -  put the "drill" binary, along with the other utils like
>> ldns-read-zone, in a "ldns" package.
>>  - repackage an "empty" 'drill' package, that just depends on ldns
>>  - 'ldns' depends on libldns1
>>  - leave rest of packages as-is
>
> As far other packages are also packaged in the same way, I don't see any
> reason why ldns can't be packaged in this way.

What, you mean like jpeg?

or tiff?

:-)

Here's a reason for you to consider:
putting "libldns" into google, comes up with debian packages as first
hit. Whereas googling "ldns" comes up with the proper site.

similarly, googling "drill" is virtually useless.
but googling "ldns drill" is good and helpful.
Whereas even "libldns drill" is not as good.

So keying things more to "ldns" instead of "libldns" (with the
exception of the actual shared libraries package) seems like the
better thing for us to have the catalog names based on.

Sorry to say also, even if we were to agree on your slant of naming,
you should repackage a little anyway:  our devel packages all use
_devel, not "devel" recently. so libldnsdevel sticks out rather badly
:(