[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_webpy

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 24 05:04:13 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun Jan 23 22:34:26 -0500 2011:

> pkg-get -D webpy
>
> would indeed show it.
> (-D for Descriptions)
>
> but with a "well known name", I think people are more likely to search
> for well-known-name, and presume "it's not there" if not found.

Right, which is why a regex match helps in this case.  It wouldn't
help if the 'friendly' name is not in any way a substring of the
non-friendly name.

> Okay, an extreme example, but it hopefully makes my point.

I don't have pkg-get handy here, but from what you say it looks like
the argument to -D is a catalog name, as it would be found in the
catalog?  If so, this pre-supposes knowledge.  The versions of this in
pkgutil don't make this assumption.  They match against title and/or
description.

My point here is that if you want both naming consistency (good) and
installation by friendly name (also good), you can have that by
packaging under the standardized format and providing stub packages
with the friendly name.  I don't see a problem with stub packages but
I do see a gain from using them where appropriate.  To my eye, this is
an appropriate use.

Thanks
-Ben
--