[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs perl, perldoc

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jan 24 20:18:10 CET 2011

On 1/24/11, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> errr... this looks rather important. Please share details on WHY you
>> arent worried about that?
>
> I've used this package pretty much since the beginning and I've never
> had any use for it. I'm also the maintainer since a few years back and
> no one has indicated a problem to me via e-mail, IRC or a bug report.
> I simply have no indication at all this would be important and I'm not
> inclined to do more work for no benefit.

"it works for me", is not an appropriate substitute for due diligence
as a maintainer.
Nor is "well, no-one's complained about it".
(who on earth would know to look at something that deep anyway?)

If you cant explain what it does, then you need to patch it.

I'm not "forcing" you to patch it... you can patch it, OR do research
to explain what what it is and why it isnt important. But you can't
avoid doing both of them.

> For reference, both Red Hat and Debian leaves these paths as is.

okay, that's a good sign.. but still not enough for something like this.
Maybe this would explain some of the incompatibility we've had with
newer perl vs older modules.