[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs gdb

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 25 17:42:30 CET 2011

On 1/25/11, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Well, I beg to differ: if a package bring info files it must depend on
> the package which gives the mean to read them. Otherwise, why not
> isolate systematically the info files in a specific package, e.g., -doc?

It's a nice general principle, but not always true.
There are lots of packages that deliver what are effectively
"optional" files. Files that require other packages/programs to work,
but dont depend on the related package.
To take a silly example: header files.
or, emacs related files.
IF you have a compiler, or emacs installed.. you get the benefit of those files.
if not... the files just come along for the ride. They're often too
small to merit a separate package.

Your idea of splitting out the .info files is a good one, though.
Usually I only suggest this, if the documentation is of a certain
size. No-one has bothered to examine gdb for this issue before.
[looking...]
As the info files take up almost 2 megabytes in space, I think that
would be a great idea for the next release.