[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs perl, perldoc

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jan 28 17:36:24 CET 2011

On 1/27/11, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> that being said, the issue still merits either some kind of writeup in
>> /opt/csw/share/doc/perl/README or something, with a warning about if
>> users choose to use "-DPERL_MICRO".
>
> I disagree with this.  The README's in the perl distribution
> explicitly state that if this macro is enabled, you're to "submit
> patches, not bug reports" or something similar.  It really is a
> running with scissors type thing.  It doesn't get turned on by
> accident and there is no use for it in a packaged distribution of
> perl. No of the perl module builds will hit it by accident.  It would
> take conscious effort.

I view this as if we shipped gcc with its cross-compiler non-functional.
No one is going to use it "by accident". It would "take conscious effort."
But if it WOULD be functional if we just consistently replaced all
occurrences of /usr/local with /opt/csw... then we should do so.
Otherwise, that very small, infrequently used part of it would be
broken, and it would be the gcc maintainer's fault.