[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs augeas

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jun 27 04:15:41 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Mark Phillips <markp at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I've quite deliberately not broken this up into the separate libs as
> recommended by checkpkg - it's totally inconsistent with the way other
> platforms have this packaged, and frankly it'll get used as a component of
> puppet and that's about it. Puppet is used cross platform, and I'm more
> interested in keeping consistency between Solaris and Linux for the whole
> Puppet stack.

fine with me, as far as those go. But I have some other questions for you.
You sound like you are at least passingly familiar with augeas
yourself, so hopefully you can provide some informed insight here.

There are a lot of /usr/share references.
Most of them are in the "test" subdirs, so could be considered
non-critical. But what do you think about cleaning up the references
in the manpages?
and also, what is the purpose of the "dist" subtree? Is it actually functional?
I'm wondering, because of files like
/opt/csw/share/augeas/lenses/dist/sudoers.aug
which references things like /usr/local/etc/sudoers, and /etc/sudoers,
but does NOT have a corresponding /opt/csw/etc/sudoers ?

You seem to have created a completely generic "ignore ALL bad file
contents" override, rather than file by file, and there are many, many
files that trigger "bad file contents" warnings.  so Im wondering if
you may have missed thinking about these files, buried in the output
of all the other more trivial warnings.

I pondered whether it was Dagobert, who did a quickie release of the
prior package, who created that generic override? But I cant tell,
because....:
Oddly, this stuff does NOT seem to be in subversion. I tried to take a
look in the svn tree, did a check out of pkg/augeas, and it seems
virtually empty.

Additionally, and possibly not coincidentally, there is indication
that your package stuff was not actually committed into subversion?

OPENCSW_REPOSITORY=https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/augeas/trunk@UNCOMMITTED