[csw-users] Gnome fails on read-only filesystem

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 12 21:02:42 CEST 2004

> "Cannot resolve the address
> xml:readonly:/opt/csw/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory in the
> configuration file /opt/csw/etc/gconf/2/path"
>
> "Failed: Could not make directory
> /opt/csw/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory: Read-only file system"

I found a workaround although it would probably be better to
find the bug in Gnome/Gconf

Making a copy of gconf.xml.mandatory and gconf.xml.defaults
to a local hard disk, e.g. /etc/csw/gconf/..., and changing the
paths in gconf/2/path fixed the problem.

I have only tried the new Gnome for a short time, but it feels
faster than Sun's Gnome 2.0 even though I'm running it over the
network (NFS).  And many bugs/annoyances of Gnome 2.0 seem to
have been fixed too.

Thanks a lot to the Blastwave team!