[csw-users] Gnome fails on read-only filesystem

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 12 23:00:58 CEST 2004

>>I have only tried the new Gnome for a short time, but it feels
>>faster than Sun's Gnome 2.0 even though I'm running it over the
>>network (NFS).  And many bugs/annoyances of Gnome 2.0 seem to
>>have been fixed too.
>

> I found it very slow, although I don't think I fixed the problems you
> described properly, see above thread Re: Getting Gnome going.

It seems faster at switching desktops, but some programs are slower.
Font rendering seems to slow down things.

Changing the Font Rendering to Monochrome (default is Best Shapes)
improves performance a bit but not quite.

For example, doing a "cd /usr/bin; ls -l" on csw's gnome-terminal
takes about 5 seconds longer than with Sun's gnome-terminal.