[csw-users] rhythmbox and the gnome mixer

Michael Blatt michael.blatt at btopenworld.com
Fri Aug 27 17:09:51 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I re-discovered CSW a couple of weeks ago after over a year away from Solaris. I have installed the Gnome 2.6 meta-package and rhythmbox to go with it.
I remember reading that the Gnome mixer does not support Solaris as of yet, which is OK because we can use the sdtaudiocontrol and xmms anyway.
I suppose the problem is when you try rhythmbox, which uses gst-player (IIRC) and hence probably depends on the Gnome mixer.
So when I start rhythmbox I see CPU activity and then the usual "the applicaition has quit unexpectedly".
This happens both on Solaris 8 SPARC (Sun Ultra 5) and Solaris 9 x86 (some Compaq Deskpro).
Surely since the package exists, someone must have been able to run it? How do you do that without depending on gnome-mixer? Use the Xine backend maybe, but that is decided at compile time isn't it?

Thanks for any info or pointers,

Michael