[csw-users] CSWgd and version numbers

Gary Armstrong garyarm at testedgeinc.com
Wed May 19 22:34:33 CEST 2004

Gary Armstrong wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I'm having trouble with the perl GD module from CPAN. One of the
> messages from the install states:
>
> NOTICE: This module requires libgd 2.0.12 or higher.
>         it will NOT work with earlier versions.
>         See www.cpan.org for versions of GD that are compatible
>         with earlier versions of libgd.
>
> From pkginfo -l, I see:
>
>    PKGINST:  CSWgd
>       NAME:  gd - libgd, Graphics creation library and utilities
>   CATEGORY:  system
>       ARCH:  sparc
>    VERSION:  2.0.22,REV=2004.04.18
>
> But when I ls -l /opt/csw/lib/libgd.*, I see:
>
> # ls -l /opt/csw/lib/libgd.*
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin       291132 Apr 18 15:08
> /opt/csw/lib/libgd.a
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin          844 Apr 18 14:54
> /opt/csw/lib/libgd.la
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 May 12 07:11
> /opt/csw/lib/libgd.so -> libgd.so.2.0.0
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 May 12 07:11
> /opt/csw/lib/libgd.so.2 -> libgd.so.2.0.0
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin       246520 Apr 18 14:54
> /opt/csw/lib/libgd.so.2.0.0
> #
>

> My question is, why do I see 2.0.0 instead of the 2.0.22 reported by
> pkginfo?
>
> BTW: I don't think this is the problem, I'm just trying to clear up my
> misunderstanding. If anyone has had success, getting blastwave and
> CPAN to play well together for gd on Solaris, it would be nice to know
> success is possible.
>
> TIA
> Gary

FYI;

Sorry if you consider this off topic.
Although I'd still like my question answered, I was able to get the CPAN
module to load (using blastwave perl) by setting:
make_arg           CC='gcc' LD='gcc' CCCDLFLAGS='-fPIC'
within CPAN.

I had problems with a few other modules, I'll have to see if they are
similar. I suspect, that because CSWperl was compiled with the sunpro
compilers the GD module and possibly others look for cc vs gcc.

Thanks
Gary