[csw-users] [Fwd: [Clamav-users] please fix your freshclam setup]

Alex S Moore asmoore at blastwave.org
Mon Nov 1 12:52:50 CET 2004

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Luca Gibelli <luca at clamav.net>
To: clamav-announce at lists.clamav.net
Cc: clamav-users at lists.clamav.net
Subject: [Clamav-users] please fix your freshclam setup
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 01:26:23 +0100
Dear ClamAV users,

we are seeing a lot of useless traffic on our mirror servers.
It looks like there are many broken freshclam clients still running.

Once again, we urge you to upgrade to ClamAV 0.80 and take advantage of
the new DNSDatabaseInfo option, which allows to check for a new version of
the database with a single DNS query.
Until you do, please keep the check frequency below once per hour.
Abusing clients will be added to a black list and won't be able to
download our database anymore.

We ask you to verify that your freshclam setup is correct, in particular:

1) if you run freshclam from crontab, check that you have an entry like
the following:

N * * * * /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet

where N is a random integer between 3 and 57 and is not a multiple of
10.

Do NOT use anything like this:

* * * * * /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet
*/N * * * * /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet

2) if you run freshclam from crontab, make sure that you are
_not_ using the -d flag (see the manpage for more info).

Thanks