[csw-users] Evolution 2.2 on Solaris 10

Ian Baines blastwave at ianbaines.org
Fri Apr 22 16:54:42 CEST 2005

I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this. I'm assuming the lack of further response means noone else is trying to do this under Solaris 10.

After posing the same question on the Evolution users list, Michael Zucchi suggested the problem lies with the BONOBO_ACTIVATION_PATH. He is right but the solution isn't simple. I tried a number of options but none led to a running version of Evo 2.2.2.

The real issue here is that Sun's Solaris 10 Gnome is built with a different gnome prefix (/usr) to the Blastwave.org Gnome (/opt/csw) therefore I don't believe it is possible for ANY Blastwave Gnome apps to run under Sun's Gnome. Maybe some simple ones will work but not anything using bonobo.

Am I right?

A second question then. Is the installation of the Blastwave.org Gnome 2.8 on a Solaris 10 system destructive to the Sun Gnome 2.6 in the same way as it was with Solaris 8 and Sun's Gnome 2, i.e. can they coexist? My guess is they cannot.

If so, my only option will be to compile Evolution myself from source with the correct Gnome prefix.

Ian

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 15:51, Ian Baines wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As a follow up, I tried Evo 2.2.2 and the behaviour is just the same.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Ian
>

> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 23:32, Ian Baines wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion of gconf being the issue. You may well be right but I cannot yet see what to do about it.

> > > Evolution always starts the evolution-data-server with its full path,
> > > as the binary is not normally in anybodys search-path:
> > > /opt/csw/libexec/evolution-data-server-1.2
> >
> > It isn't in mine either.
> >
> > > Probably gconf is playing bad games...
> >
> > I have backed up and deleted ~/.gconf/apps/evolution directory and tried Evo 2.2 with the same failure as before i.e.
> >
> > [ian at amazon ~]$/opt/csw/bin/evolution
> > es menu class init
> > evolution-shell-Message: Killing old version of evolution-data-server...
> >
> > (evolution:2116): e-error.c-WARNING **: No parent set, or default parent available for error dialog
> > [ian at amazon ~]$
> >
> > The next thing I did was to log in as root, backup and delete the entire ~/.gconf from my home directory, log back in as me and retry Evo 2.2. Same as above.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what to try next?
> >
> > I haven't yet played with /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/evolution and subdirectories but could that affect this? If I get this wrong though I could render the whole system unusable.
> >
> > The frustrating thing is I had Evo 2 running under Solaris 9. Now I'm stuck with 1.4.6.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm they have Evo 2.2 running under Sun's Gnome 2.6 on Solaris 10?
> >
> > All help appreciated.
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > --
> > Ian Baines