[csw-users] Modifying package

Cory Omand comand at blastwave.org
Tue Apr 26 17:52:35 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 07:19, Etienne-Hugues Fortin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at Blastwave right now and I'm unable to find answer about > a specific aspect of it.  I understand that I can install binary > package for a whole bunch of apps.  However, I can't see how I can > customize these apps to my needs.  For example, let say I want to > install Apache or Squid and modify some of the default config (adding > a mod_ or changing the default value of a switch), how do I proceed?  > I've done that on Fedora Core 2 with apt-get where we basically get > the src package, modify the spec file and then, rebuild it but is that > the same with Blastwave?  I didn't see any info about this.

Etienne,

In my own installations, I provide custom configuration files in a
separate package, with one package package per application, or a
"personality" package with configurations for multiple applications
based on the server role (e.g. web server config package which
installs apache/squid conf files plus some monitoring plugins I
wrote).  This package is usually installed in one of the final
stages of a Jumpstart install.  Using a configuration file package,
you can either replace the existing squid and apache configurations
altogether, or you can modify them using sed scripts.

Of course, if a separate package is not desirable, there is nothing
stopping you from:

pkg-get -d blastwave_package
gunzip blastwave_package.pkg.gz
pkgadd -s /tmp/spool -d blastwave_package.pkg

Then you can edit anything you need to and repackage.  Going this
route means you'd need to create a new custom package every time a
new version of the application is released.

Regards,
Cory.

--
Cory Omand <comand at blastwave.org>