[csw-users] KDE can't lock screen (was Re: KDE not working)

Adrian Hoe mailbox at adrianhoe.com
Fri Aug 26 11:57:28 CEST 2005

> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:18:54 -0400
> From: Darin Perusich <Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com>
> Subject: Re: [csw-users] KDE not working
> To: questions and discussions <users at lists.blastwave.org>
>
> this is likely a permissions problem in /tmp/.ICE-unix. this directory
> is created by the initial user who logs into kde and only that user or
> root can login. here's my init script i use to take care of this, it
> should run before dtlogin starts, i use /etc/rc2.d/S98kde-enable.
>

> /etc/init.d/kde-enable:
>
> --START--
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script makes sure the /tmp/.ICE-unix directory has proper
> permissions
> # otherwhise only the first person on a machine will be able to
> start kde.
> #
> # create /tmp/.ICE-unix with 1777 for KDE
>
> PATH=/usr/bin
> export PATH
>
> case "$1" in
> 'start')
>        [ -d /tmp/.ICE-unix ] && rm -rf /tmp/.ICE-unix
>        [ -f /tmp/.ICE-unix ] && rm  /tmp/.ICE-unix
>        mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
>        ;;
> 'stop')
>        ;;
> *)
>        echo "Usage: $0 { start | stop }"
>        ;;
> esac
>
> Adrian Hoe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I login with KDE (kde_gcc_3.3.1), an error occurred:
>>
>> ================================================== Could not read
>> network connection list. /home/byhoe/.DCOPserver_pyxis2__0
>>
>> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.
>>
>> I have no problem login as root.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>>
>> "If you missed the rising sun and the morning dew, don't miss the
>> beautiful sunset." -- Adrian Hoe inspired by Michal Nowak, June 15
>> 2004
>>
>> http://adrianhoe.com

> --
> Darin Perusich
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Cognigen Corp.
> darinper at cognigencorp.com

Thanks Darin. But I login as as root in KDE and edited my user .cshrc
and disabled all LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Then reboot and KDE worked after
that. Strange.

Now, I am unable to lock screen in KDE. It says:

Will not lock the session, as unlocking would be impossible. No
appropriate greeter plugin configured.

What does it mean? Please help.

Thank you.