[csw-users] Why has php been split into a bazillion packages?

Robert Stampfli rob at colnet.cmhnet.org
Thu Dec 8 18:59:18 CET 2005

First, thanks, Mark, for your very quick and comprehensive reply
to my earlier email to the list.  If I may make a suggestion,
you should place a copy of that response under the "View news and
info" tab for mod_php.  I was not aware that mod_php had become a
placeholder for the entire php hierarchy (and, frankly, I'm not
even sure what I should have done to become aware of the fact).
I've used Blastwave's PHP for years, and suddenly it just
ballooned into all these packages.  I presumed it was to provide
for some flexibility in tuning it for the extentions needed, but
the dependencies were such that everything seemed to still be
required.

So, you're saying the first thing I should do is 'rmpkg CSWphp'
and then I can pick and choose among the extensions to suit my
specific needs?  Aside from the physcial package size, is there
any way to discern what effect each extension has on the apache
module size?  I did notice the huge increase in the apache virtual
memory footprint after installing php initially.  Most of that
increase appeared to be confined to two rather large (about 65Mb
each) shared memory segments.  Can you shed some light on what
these segments are and which extension(s) require them?  I'll
play around with "tuning" out the PHP extentsions I don't need,
but if you have additional information about which extensions
are the memory hogs, I'd appreciate it if you would share it
with us.

Thanks again for your quick response,
Rob