[csw-users] Gnome term and GTK issues

Mike Alberghini sysmda at zim.gsu.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:36:38 CET 2005

I've recently installed Gnome 2.8 from the Blastwave packages and things
are mostly going well.  I have had some small issues with gnome-terminal
that have led me to some bigger issues when I try to upgrade GTK.

First off, I'm running Solaris 8 on a SunBlade 100.  My normal desktop
is spread across two monitors, and is usually Firefox and a bunch of
gnome-terms.  The problem pops up when jumping between terminal windows.
Frequently I wil click back into a gnome-term window and discover it
has broken.  Text will either be entered, but not echoed, or entering
text results in an angry beep.  Usually a Terminal -> Reset will fix
things.

I checked and the distributed gnome-term is 2.8.0 and the latest release
is 2.9.2.  So I decide to try and upgrade.  Configure of gnome-term barfs
because it says that it needs GTK2 ver 2.5.4 or better.  I download and try
to install GTK2.6.2, which says it needs a newer glib.  I download glib,
configure with --prefix=/opt/csw and install.  Now the GTK2 configure says
"Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.6.0' but version of GLib is 2.0.7"

I've only recently started using the Blastwave distro, and this problem
has me stumped.

First off, has anyone had a similar problem with gnome-terminal?  Any
suggestions on fixing it?

Second, any idea why GTK and glib are giving me such headaches?

--
Michael Alberghini
Software Systems Engineer
mike at gsu.edu