[csw-users] newbie solaris issues

Mark Round mark at markround.com
Tue Feb 22 08:29:41 CET 2005

Hi,

Yup, your assumption would seem correct. As Blastwave software lives in
/opt/csw, unless this is split off from your / filesystem it will
quickly fill up. You could always re-install the machine from scratch
and leave more room for /opt/csw next time, but there's a way around
this given your current situation.

You appear to have plenty of space in /export/home, so you could always
relocate /opt/csw there, and then loopback mount it. You'd need to do
this instead of symlinking it, as many packages expect /opt/csw to be a
directory. Here's roughly how you'd go about this - tailor this for
your own situation etc....

As root, ensure that no users or processes on the system are using
anything in /opt/csw. Booting into single user mode is probably the
safest way to do this. Mount /export/home if it isn't already mounted.
Then :

# mv /opt/csw /export/home/csw (or wherever you want it to go)

Then create the loopback mount :

# mkdir /opt/csw
# mount -F lofs /export/home/csw /opt/csw

You then should be able to access everything through /opt/csw as usual,
even though it really lives in /export/home/csw. Assuming this all
works fine, you'd then want to update /etc/vfstab with those details :

/export/home/csw - /opt/csw lofs - yes -

You may want to try doing this with some test directory first, instead
of /opt/csw so you're happy with the procedure. Hope this helps!

-Mark
mark at blastwave.org