[csw-users] How to configure CSWgcc3 to use the gnu linker?

Neal A. Lucier nlucier at math.purdue.edu
Sat Jan 15 20:12:19 CET 2005

rain cip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My box is a Solaric 9 sparc.  I installed the CSWbinutils package first
> which put the gnu
> linker gld under the /opt/csw/bin directory.  Then I installed CSWgcc3.
> But when I tried
> to use the gcc to compile something, it found its linker at
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld.  How can I
> configure gcc3 to use /opt/csw/bin/gld as its linker?
>
> The situation I am in is that the configure script is invoked first to
> test the comopiler and
> the linker.  For some reason, no matther what I did, i.e. exporting
> CXXFLAGS=-B, or
> ln -s /opt/csw/gld real-ld in the compiler search path, the configure
> script always found
> the linker at /usr/ccs/bin/ld.
>
> Any help in finding a solution to this problem will be highly appreciated.
>
> rain

Unless you have a specific reason why you would rather use the GNU ld
instead of Sun's, I suggest just using Sun's.  I have never had a single
problem with Sun's ld.

We have a gcc hacker that uses our systems, and he does daily builds of
gcc using GNU make, gcc, Sun's ld, and Sun's as and everything always
works.  We don't even have the GNU binutils installed.

This is also on Solaris 9 SPARC.

Neal Lucier
nlucier at math.purdue.edu